I got a really good deal on this in an ebay auction. It is a reprap LCD controller for ramps 1.4. This will let you print without a computer. I’m using this with the latest version of Marlin firmware which has built in support.
I’ll post a follow up video once I get it hooked up.
Man I wish my parts would get here already. I have too much time to think (over think) my original design. My main concern with the original design is whether the nema 17 (72 oz in) will be able to support a heavy 2.2lb table. I can go to a nema 23 if it does not work but I thought of an alternate design the other day. Instead of the rods moving with the table I would use a more traditional style bed where the rods are fixed and the bed moves on bearings. I can use 2″ aluminum channel to support the rods and I just need to cut some slots on the top to support them.
If anyone has any experience with running a heavy Y slide or nema 23’s let me know. I’d really appreciate some input.
I’ve been working on other parts of the Behemoth while waiting for the Y axis parts to arrive. In order to cool the ramps and the steppers I decided to place an 80mm fan at the end of the aluminium tube. It will pull air out of the tube. At the other end of the tube I made a mount for the ramps and the LCD click controller. This cooling arrangement will pull cool air from the ramps side and exhaust the hot air out the fan side.
I spent a lot of time tonight in the garage. I had one mishap on the cnc mill. I meant to set the pass depth to 0.09 but instead set it to 0.9″. As you can imagine that did not go well. I needed to reregister the zero for the hole using another hole. Luckily it worked out ok. I really need to find a good free speeds and feeds calculator or buy the popular online one.
Here is a sneak peak into one of the projects I have on my workbench. Stay tuned for updates to find out what I have in store for this little gem.
I don’t want to share the details yet but it should turn out to be a pretty cool little project if everything works out like I hope. I need to do some work developing some other components. I’ll post more details as I progress.
I was thinking of 3d printing a case for the Raspberry Pi I picked up the other day. I jumped onto thingiverse.com and found a laser cut acrylic one designed by Adafruit. I decided to give it a go on the laser cutter using some 1/8″ clear acrylic I had on hand. I think it turned out pretty good. It fits together well but the little tabs that hold it in place break off easily. I am running raspbmc on this one. It is a Raspberry Pi XBMC distro.